Annual Report of the Green Sanctuary Committee
2017 Annual Report of the Green Sanctuary Committee
- Tim Closson
- Paige & Billy Fitton
- Krista Flanagan
- Joe & Mary Alice Masonick
- Elizabeth Olson
- Dave Segel
- Sheila Sheehan
- Susan Swing
- Jun Yoshitani
The Green Sanctuary Committee meets monthly on the 3rd Sunday, after the service. Meeting minutes are available.
1. Sanctuary and first floor hallway lighting was replaced with LEDs through a donation from the Hanifl family.
2. We are halfway through replacing ~200 fluorescent tube lights with LED tubes, paid for by Energy Initiative fund.
3. We resolved thermostat problem which caused overheating for several weeks in winter and increased use of propane.
4. Church cleaning supplies: We researched cleaning products and made recommendations and supplied products.
1. Green Corner column information is submitted occasionally in the Unichord Update and the Order of Service.
2. We previously posted on the church’s Facebook page until access was denied. We email via the UUCE Bulletin Board.
3. We hope to submit informational inserts for the Order of Service. Permission pending.
Green Activism Campaigns: Letter writing campaigns held on climate change, cuts to EPA, protecting wilderness in Utah.
1. Solar energy: Adding ground-mounted solar panels is being explored to increase our electricity production.
2. Ground source heat pump: We are exploring geothermal ground source heat pump system for heat and A/C.
We continue to collect used batteries and used CFLs for safe disposal and used inkjet cartridges for recycling. The church receives $40 monthly credit and staff is encouraged to purchase 100% recycled paper for printing and copying. Collections of items not recyclable at curbside and transporting to county collection sites: We collect Styrofoam at church monthly on the Fourth Sunday. We may collect other items that are difficult to recycle/dispose of. Adopt-A-Highway Litter Cleanup: We did not host a litter clean up this spring due to numerous Sunday meetings.
Equal Exchange Fair Trade Products
We continue to sell fair trade, organic coffee, tea, chocolate, and olive oil.
Solar System Monitoring
We monitor the electricity production and plan to provide periodic reports. Gaps in reporting electricity production have been noted due to internet connection problems. Two members are working to resolve the issue.
Solar Renewable Energy Credits
We began receiving SRECs from ComEd, amounting to $600-800/year. These funds are credited to the Energy Initiative Fund. 2017-18 FY Budget: Our budget request is $150.00.
Worship & Celebration
An accredited Green Sanctuary, UUCE is strongly encouraged to hold services on sustainability.
Special/Capital Improvement Fund Proposal
“Putting Our Seventh Principle Into Action”
In December, we submitted our proposal for a solar-assisted geothermal heating system, which consists of several stages: an air infiltration study (completed), remediation work (estimates pending), a Geothermal Feasibility study (pending), installing
geothermal heat pump system and PV solar system, conducting engineering and financial planning for the PV solar system.
We are strongly connected to the interfaith and environmental justice community.
1. 2016 Illinois Solar Tour: UUCE was a host site again in October 2016.
2. Indoor Farmers’ Markets: UUCE hosted its 20th indoor market last November.
3. Faith In Place: UUCE partners with and supports Faith In Place; UUCE was awarded for climate activism by FiP.
4. Citizens Climate Lobby: During the past year, Susan, Joe and M.A. have lobbied U.S. Reps in district and/or in D.C.
5. Jun and Paige are Solar Ambassadors with Illinois Solar Energy Association.
6. Several churches are consulting with us about being a Green Sanctuary: UU Society of Geneva, Tree of Life UU, Church of the Brethren, Fox Valley Presbyterian Church
Submitted May 17, 2017 by Mary Alice Masonick, Chair